Commercial roofs don’t last forever. After 20-30 years, you’ll want to switch to a different type of roofing material. Nowadays, there are so many options to choose from that it can easily become overwhelming. It can be difficult to figure out what the best choice for your commercial building may be. Thankfully, there are many commercial roofing professionals out there who have already done all of the research for you.
Out of all of the materials that are available, metal roofing is a huge favorite amongst many commercial building owners. You can choose from quite a few materials: tin, zinc, aluminum, copper and even galvanized steel. Regardless of the type of material that you are working with, just make sure that the roofing material is tested and labeled by either the UL, FM Global or an equivalent entity. You also need to check whether your local building department has any code requirements.
With that said, metal roofing offers many unique advantages that make it a better choice for many commercial property owners. Let’s have a more detailed look on the pros and cons of metal roofing in this article.
Pros of Switching to Metal Roofingn
One of the main reasons why metal roofing is so popular among many commercial property owners is because it is able to offer a wealth of advantages that other materials simply can’t. It’s also one of the many reasons why many commercial roofing companies now offer many different styles of metal roofing. Some of the benefits involved with switching to metal roofing include:
- Higher longevity. In comparison to other commercial roofing materials, metal roofs can last anywhere from 40 to 70 years. Once you’ve installed a metal roof, you really won’t have to worry about it or think about it. There’s a good chance that the roof will outlast the building. In this sense, you’ll also be saving a lot of money by installing a metal roofing.
- Higher overall durability. Did you know that metal roofing can sustain wind gusts of up to 140 miles per hour? This type of roofing material is also not susceptible to corrosion or cracking. They are also impact-resistant. Because of these reasons, metal roofing typically does not need a lot of maintenance in comparison to other commercial roofing materials.
- Higher overall energy efficiency. With summer months getting hotter and hotter, many commercial property owners are now looking for ways to be more energy efficient. The interesting thing about metal roofing is that it has the ability to reflect solar radiant heat. As a result, it can reduce overall cooling costs by anywhere from 10 to 25%.
Metal roofing is able to offer many other advantages. They tend to be safer and also environmentally-friendly. If you are interested in installing any type of metal roofing, talk to one of our professionals.
Cons of Switching to Metal Roofing
It’s hard to find something that only has pros and no cons. Although metal roofing is able to offer a lot of advantages in comparison to other commercial roofing materials, they also do come with their own unique set of disadvantages. It’s important to compare the pros and cons of choosing a metal roof. Some of the cons that you should be aware of include:
- Cost. Due to all of the benefits that metal roofing is able to provide, it’s no surprise that this material tends to be more costly in comparison to other materials. With that said, you do “save” that money in a sense because your roof won’t need a lot of maintenance. Also, you won’t need to replace your roof for a long time.
- Noisiness. Metal roofing can be quite a bit noisier in comparison to other materials. When it rains, snows or hails, you may hear the pitter patter of the rain or the snow on your roof. With that said, the noise produced by metal roofing isn’t unbearable. You can also substantially reduce the amount of noise that the metal produces by installing some insulation.
The pros of installing metal roofing usually outweigh the cons. While there are some things that you need to be aware of, these things can usually be solved fairly easily. This is probably why metal roofing remains one of the most popular types of commercial roofing material in Houston, TX.
Why You Should Always Hire a Professional for the Jobn
If you own a small business, you may wonder whether you definitely need to hire a professional for this type of commercial roofing service. The bottom line is that it’s always a good idea to hire a professional because of the safety risks involved.
Our contractors have the experience and the know-how on how to install metal roofing properly. For example, while the installation may seem simple in the beginning, you will need to be extra careful around the chimneys and skylights. You need to make sure that the aluminum is nailed correctly in those areas. If it isn’t, your roof will leak! This could lead to water damage to the internal structure of your home, which can be costly to fix.
Give Us a Call for More Information About Roofing Services in Houston, TX
Do you own a commercial building in Houston, TX? Are you in need of commercial roofing services like replacing your old shingles with metal roofing? If you are, don’t hesitate to give Longhorn Commercial Roofing a call at 713-391-8444. We have over 40 years of experience that covers over 2.7 billion square feet of roofing. We not only have the experience that you are looking for, but we can also offer you some sound advice on the type of roofing that will be most suitable for your commercial building. There is no job too difficult or too big for us. We offer affordable roofing services and high quality craftsmanship.
Photo By Mr Twister at Shutterstock